Emerging technologies in sports
Reimagining the fan experience.
- 69% - The share of fans that report that the use of emerging technologies has enhanced their viewing experience – both inside and outside the stadium
- 50% - Share of fans who have experienced regular match updates on mobile apps while watching the match live in-stadium
- 74% - of consumers overall prefer to shop with retailers that use automation technology to reduce food wasShare of Asian fans that have experienced the use of emerging technology in stadium
Redefining the future of sports
People have always had a passion for sports and now, emerging digital technologies are offering exciting new ways to enjoy them, transforming the fan experience, driving fans to the stadiums, and converting more and more online viewers. So what can organizations do to get a head start on this significant opportunity for growth and increasing brand value?
The fan experience will never be the same
For the latest report from the Capgemini Research Institute – Emerging technologies in sports: reimagining the fan experience – we talked to over 10,000 sports fans from nine countries and conducted in-depth interviews with over 20 industry experts, sports athletes, and startup executives. We found that:
- Technology is now an integral part of the way fans consume sports – Nearly 70% say emerging technologies have enhanced their overall viewing experience, both inside and outside the stadium
- The digitization of sport and the fan experience can strengthen engagement, building brand value and driving new avenues of growth. For example, if they enjoy their tech experience, a majority (56%) of fans would attend more matches while 92% would spend more on online subscriptions.
- To adopt and optimize emerging technologies in sports, organizations should reassure fans about how their personal data is used to build trust, identify the needs and expectations of fans and users before deploying new technologies, convert more casual fans into avid fans, and enhance the value of the out-of-stadium experience to tap into the huge audience that consumes sports outside of the stadium.
Thinking about the future